Welsh Sultana Bread
- 1¼ cups golden raisins (these are expensive but very important to the success of this recipe)
- ¾ cup STRONG Noël, Esprit de by Mariage Frères
- 4 oz butter (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon orange marmalade
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- . Add sultanas to a bowl – pour on the tea and stir in the butter and brown sugar. Leave the mixture to soak overnight. The tea will be absorbed
- . Next day preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 small loaf pans (8x4) generously
- . Beat eggs and stir in the marmalade, lemon juice, and rind. Stir in the sultana mixture
- . Stir together the flour and baking soda
- . Add the sultana mixture stirring until the batter has no visible flour.
- . Pour batter into the 2 greased loaf pans
- . Bake for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. DO NOT over bake!
- . Cool in the pans for 20 minutes then turn out gently onto a rack. Wrap in foil when cool.
- . These loaves improve with keeping! Good out of the oven, even better 2-3 days later
- . Serve buttered with a cup of Noël, Esprit de by Mariage Frères
This recipe was developed for the Cultured Cup by Kyra Effren
Copyright The Cultured Cup
Mary Alaniz —
Help! I am ready to mix this wonderful recipe together, but I do not see where you add the 4 oz of butter. Can anyone help me?