Prunes Simmered in English Breakfast Tea
- 1½ cups strong English Breakfast Tea
- 8 oz prunes without pits
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 Strips of zest from fresh lemons, oranges, or limes
- .Brew tea according to package instructions , strain into a saucepan and stir in the sugar.
- .Bring to the boil and simmer just until the sugar is dissolved.
- .Remove from heat.
- Add prunes
- .Allow the liquid to cool.
- .Then pack the tea and fruit and zest of your choice into a glass jar ensuring the liquid covers the fruit. Refrigerate.
- .Allow to marinate for at least a week before using. Will keep for up to three months – if refrigerated
- .Use the fruit as an accompaniment for roast meats and the liquid in the gravy or sauce.
- .The drained fruit is also excellent accompanying cheese on a cheese tray, use prunes and liquid in a thick and creamy yogurt for breakfast, you may also serve over vanilla ice-cream
- .You may also swap out the prunes for dried figs and follow the directions accordingly.
This recipe was developed for the Cultured Cup by Kyra Effren
Copyright The Cultured Cup