Ukrainian Honey Cookies
This recipe was curated for the Cultured Cup by Kyra Effren
[recipe adapted to American ingredients]
- 2 cups all purpose flour [ scooped in]
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cold butter cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup honey
- Walnuts or pecans
- Pre heat oven to 375 F.*
- Place flour, baking powder, baking soda ,brown sugar and granulated sugar in the bowl of the food processor.**
- Pulse a couple of times.
- Add the butter to the food processor and pulse 2 - 3 more times to incorporate the butter.
- The add the egg, vanilla, and honey to the food processor bowl and pulse on and off until a batter is formed.
- Spoon into a bowl.
- Scoop small balls of dough onto a baking paper lined cookie sheet. (hint: a small scoop ensures that all the cookies are the same size and will bake for the same length of time thus avoiding over or underbaking.)
- Press walnut or pecan piece on top of the cookies.
- Bake for about 7-8 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned
- Let cookies cool for at least 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to cool on wire rack. Cookies will crisp as they cool.
* I baked some cookies at *375 – and some at *365. Ovens have a mind of their own so I advise baking a couple of portions of dough first to get the result you want.
**I tested the cookies with traditional method in a mixer, but found the processor produced a better result. Feel free to try a mixer if you prefer.
Copyright The Cultured Cup