Almond Candy Base
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup apricot jam
- ¾ cup candied orange peel strips
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 full teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Noël, Esprit de by Mariage Frères strong tea
- . Process the almond meal – sugar – apricot jam and orange peel strips in the processor, pulsing on and off until the mixture in well blended
- . Turn the almond ‘paste’ onto parchment. Top with another sheet of parchment and roll the dough out to about 1/3 “ thickness.
- . Remove top parchment. Allow to dry for 2 hours
- . Then using a long sharp knife cut on the diagonal to form diamonds. Leave to dry again overnight
Making the Glace Icing
- . Combine the glace icing ingredients and whisk until smooth
- . The mixture should be shiny and runny
- . Place some of the icing in a shallow saucer (makes it easier to dip only the top of the candy)
- . Dip the top of each candy gently into the icing and set upright on a tray to dry. Allow to dry for 24 hours.
Notes: To make the strong tea, add 2 teaspoons tea leaves to ¼ cup boiling water.
Allow to steep for 15 minutes then strain the tea. You should have 2 tablespoons of the infusion for the recipe. If you cannot find it locally, candied orange peel is available on Amazon.
This recipe was adapted for the Cultured Cup by Kyra Effren from the traditional Callison d’Aix of Provence
Copyright The Cultured Cup