Turmeric Masala Chai
This variant is currently sold out.
A delicious and healthy blend of strong black tea, silky South African rooibos, and flavorful spices and turmeric. All this, but only half the caffeine!
- How to Steep
- Product Details
- Fun Facts
- Pairing Suggestions
2 heaping tsp per 8 oz of water, 212°F, 5-6 min
- This blend of an Assam black tea, rooibos and spices is flavorful, but with only half the caffeine.
- The Assam black tea used as the base of most chai is a strong, malty tea that won't find its flavor overwhelmed by the addition of milk and spices.
- For an incredible dessert, steep this tea extra strong and add condensed sweetened milk for an authentic masala chai flavor experience!
- "Masala" means a combination of spices and herbs. The word Chai is the Hindi word for tea!
- In the 1830s, the British became concerned about the Chinese monopoly on tea and began to grow tea in India and Ceylon.
- In 1870, over 90% of the tea consumed in Britain was from China, but by 1900 this had dropped to 10%, replaced by tea grown in India and Ceylon.
- Consumption of black tea within India remained low until a promotional campaign by the British-owned Indian Tea Association in the early 20th century encouraged factories, mines, and textile mills to provide tea breaks for their workers in the English style, with milk and sugar.
- The Indian Tea Association disapproved of independent tea vendors' tendency to add spices, milk, and sugar because it reduced the usage and purchase of tea.
- Masala Chai outlasted the British and established itself as a popular beverage in India and the rest of the world.
- Masala means "spice mixture" and chai simply means "tea."
- Greek yogurt
- Bacon or sausage and eggs
- Spicy appetizers
- Spicy Indian or Thai cuisine
- Spicy barbecued meats
- Any chocolate or cream dessert with cinnamon or cardamom
- Indian rice pudding
- Buttered toffee
- Passion fruit caramels
India Assam black tea, South Africa rooibos, turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, black pepper, vanilla flavor.