Darjeeling, Avon Grove Estate, First Flush - 2018
This variant is currently sold out
This organic First Flush Darjeeling consists of young and tender leaves plucked in the early Spring of 2018. As complex as it is elegant, this tea will entrance you with hints of orchid, muscatel, and green almond. And its finish lingers LONG on the palate.
- How to Steep
- Product Details
- Fun Facts
- Pairing Suggestions
1.5 heaping tsp per 8 oz of water, 195°F, 3 to 3.5 min. This delicate tea can become too astringent if over steeped, and we've found it is near perfect at three minutes and fifteen seconds.
- First Flush Darjeelings are considered the "Vintage Champagne" of tea.
- Grown at the Avon Grove Estate, in the mountainous Darjeeling region of northeast India
- The high elevation, volatile weather conditions, and early plucking (late March) each contribute to the benchmark flavor profile of a good 1st flush Darjeeling
- Of the dozens we tried this year, this one clearly stood out as the best
- Because the growing conditions in the Himalayan foothills are somewhat intense, and because all of the Darjeeling region is no larger than two Manhattans, the supply of first flush teas is extremely limited
- Their rarity (and their deliciousness) causes the finest ones to be auctioned off at premium prices
- They are especially prized in European countries such as France and Germany
- Buttery croissant
- Soft and mild creamy cheese
- Mac and cheese
- Recipes with light mint
- Cream-based desserts
- Fresh, dried, baked or grilled apricots or peaches
- New York style cheese cake
- Collin Street fruit cake
India, Darjeeling black tea: 100%