Ceremonial Masala Chai
This variant is currently sold out
Our most extravagant Masala Chai tea is a full-bodied black tea enhanced with cardamom and Madagascar vanilla. Serve this creamy and spicy tea for weddings, anniversaries, and any other special occasions!
- How to Steep
- Product Details
- Fun Facts
- Pairing Suggestions
1 heaping tsp per 8 oz of water, 212°F, 3-5 min. For an authentic Masala Chai experience, boil tea in hot water and add sweetened condensed milk.
- Cardamom is used in every true masala chai, but blends can contain up to 9 or 10 spices. This special Ceremonial Chai focuses on three different spices: green cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, and vanilla bean extract.
- The Assam black tea used as the base of most chai is a strong, malty tea that won't find its flavor overwhelmed by the addition of milk and spices
- For an incredible dessert, steep this tea extra strong and blend the resulting tea with your favorite vanilla ice cream—a delicious, spicy, and creamy Masala Chai ice cream
- In the 1830s, the British became concerned about the Chinese monopoly on tea and began to grow tea in India and Ceylon
- In 1870, over 90% of the tea consumed in Britain was from China, but by 1900 this had dropped to 10%, replaced by tea grown in India and Ceylon
- Consumption of black tea within India remained low until a promotional campaign by the British-owned Indian Tea Association in the early 20th century encouraged factories, mines, and textile mills to provide tea breaks for their workers in the English style, with milk and sugar
- The Indian Tea Association disapproved of independent tea vendors' tendency to add spices, milk, and sugar because it reduced the usage and purchase of tea
- Masala Chai outlasted the British and established itself as a popular beverage in India and the rest of the world
- Masala means "spice mixture" and chai simply means "tea"
- Greek yogurt
- Bacon or sausage and eggs
- Spicy appetizers
- Spicy Indian or Thai cuisine
- Spicy barbecued meats
- Any chocolate or cream dessert with cinnamon or cardamom
- Indian rice pudding
- Buttered toffee
- Passionfruit caramels
India, Assam black tea, crushed green cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, and vanilla extract flavoring.