Ceremonial Masala Chai
This variant is currently sold out.
Our most extravagant Masala Chai is a full-bodied black tea enhanced with cardamom and Madagascar vanilla. Serve this creamy and spicy tea at any special occasion!
- How to Steep
- Product Details
- Fun Facts
- Pairing Suggestions
- 1 heaping tsp per 8 oz of water, 212°F, 3–5 min. For an authentic Masala Chai experience, boil tea in hot water and add sweetened condensed milk.
- Cardamom is used in every true masala chai, but blends can contain up to 9 or 10 spices. This special Ceremonial Chai features green cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, and vanilla bean extract.
- The Assam black tea used as the base of most chai is a strong, malty tea that won't find its flavor overwhelmed by the addition of milk and spices.
- For an incredible dessert, steep this tea extra strong and blend the it with your favorite vanilla ice cream and enjoy the delicious, spicy, and creamy result!
- In the 1830s, the British became concerned about the Chinese monopoly on tea and began to grow tea in India and Ceylon. The amount of tea consumed in Britain that was from China dropped from 90% to 10% in 30 years as it was replaced by the tea being grown in India and Ceylon.
- Consumption of black tea in India remained low until the British-owned Indian Tea Association encouraged factories, mines, and textile mills to provide English style tea breaks for their workers in the early 20th century.
- The Indian Tea Association disapproved of independent tea vendors adding spices, milk, and sugar to tea — however, masala chai outlasted British rule and established itself as a popular beverage in India and quickly, the rest of the world.
- Masala means "spice mixture" and chai simply means "tea".
- Greek yogurt
- Bacon or sausage and eggs
- Spicy appetizers
- Spicy Indian or Thai cuisine
- Spicy barbecued meats
- Any chocolate or cream dessert with cinnamon or cardamom
- Indian rice pudding
- Buttered toffee
- Passionfruit caramels
Indian Assam black tea, crushed green cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, vanilla extract flavoring