Iced Tea Mint Julep
Our take on a Mint Julep with Earl Grey Tea and Mint Simple Syrup. Perfect for the Kentucky Derby, or any summertime gathering! Feel free to play with the base tea flavor or add lemon to your simple syrup for an extra citrusy kick!
Keep it alcohol free, or add some bourbon or alcohol of choice for a adult cocktail.
makes approximately 1 quart
For the Ice Tea
- 5 tsp. of House Earl Grey (or black tea of choice)
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 cups of cold water
- crushed ice
- fresh mint for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp of Mint Tea or 1 cup of fresh mint leaves
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil.
- Steep your tea for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the leaves out. Add the 2 cups of cold water.
- Refrigerate until chilled (about two hours)
- Add mint syrup (recipe below) to taste
- Serve in short glass over a mound of the customary crushed ice. Garnish with fresh mint. optional: add Bourbon or choice liquor. Enjoy!
Mint Simple Syrup
- Steep 2 tablespoons of Mint tea with 8oz of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Strain tea out of liquid.
- Add liquid and 1 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan . ( If using fresh mint start here with 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, and 1 cup fresh mint leaves)
- Bring to a gentle boil and stir occasionally until all sugar has completely melted.(strain fresh leaves out of liquid if using)
- Allow to cool and store in airtight container.
Copyright The Cultured Cup